Introduction to Links
Enablix users can share content externally using Links. Users can always download files or copy URLs for sharing externally. However, links offer several advantages over the traditional way of sharing content.
- Enablix tracks link engagement. This tells user who clicked on the link and when.
- A link always gives access to the latest version of the asset.
- A link can be customized to offer a different content engagement experience to the recipient.
- A user can create their own links for tracking and custom experience.
In This Article
- About Default Link
- Default Link for File Assets
- Default Link for URL Assets
- Editing Default Link
- Handling Links for Internal-Only Content
About Default Link
When an asset is published, Enablix creates a default link for that asset. There are some exceptions. Please refer to Enabling Links for Content Types for additional details.
The default link can be copied using the Copy Link button on the asset detail screen. And the preview button shows the preview of the default link.
Links are not meant to be accessed only through the Enablix web application. Default links and other links are also available on other apps where sharing externally is supported. For example, in GMail and Outlook add-on, a user can access the default and custom links to share it with their prospects.
Default Link for File Assets
When a content asset is a file, the on-click experience has two options.
- Download File
- Open Web View (if available).
A default link defaults to the Open Web View option (if a Web View is available).
For file formats that support a visual preview of the file in the asset detail screen, the web view option is enabled. Commonly used file formats that support a web view are .pdf, .docx, .pptx, image formats. Web views are not supported for xls or xlsx file formats. Use the Open Preview action to find the on-click experience of a default link.
Default Link for URL Assets
For the majority of URL content assets, the on-click experience launches the source URL. For example, accessing a blog or an article. The only exception is Video URLs. For commonly used video content management systems, Enablix supports a web view.
Enablix supports web views for the following video content management systems: YouTube, Vimeo, and Wistia.
The below image shows a web view of a Wistia video.
Editing a Default Link
A user cannot delete a Default Link. However, an Administrator user can edit a Default Link. An administrator can update the following attributes of a default link,
- Update the Link Name (link name is visible internally only)
- Update the on-click behavior.
- Update the Link Title
And Administrator can also enable/disable a default link. This comes handy if the Administrator does not want the users to use the default link.
To edit the default link, you have to access the Manage Links section and click on the Edit button of the default link.
Handling Links for Internal-Only Content
Not all content that you manage on Enablix is meant to be shared externally. Some of this content is for internal use only. Therefore, it is important that you make it easy for users to understand which content is available for sharing externally and which content isn't.
The content restrictions are supported across all channels. For example, for a content asset that is meant for internal-use, a sales rep won't have an option to insert's its default link when accessing from within Gmail add-on.
To support internal-use-only content, Enablix supports two options.
- Disable content sharing for the content type - In Enablix, one can disable content sharing at a content type level. This setting is supported in the add/edit Content Type dialog.
- Support Internal & Confidential access value - Enablix can be configured to prevent a user from copying default link for an asset whose access value is Internal & Confidential.