Introduction to Content Types
- Content Type is mandatory. You cannot add an asset without specifying its content type.
- An asset can only belongs to one content type.
Before you start uploading content into Enablix, you should configure the basic content types that you plan to use. You can always come back later and add more. Managing the content types is an ongoing process. In this article, we will discuss how to
Only Administrators can manage Content Type.
Add a Content Type
An admin user can add a new Content Type from the Company Settings - Content Types tab. When adding a new Content Type, an administrator has several options that are discussed below.
- Plural and Singular Name: Every content type should have a plural and singular name. This helps with search and navigation ease of use.
- Content Kit Flag: This flag determines if this content type is a content kit type. To learn more about content kits, please check out Introduction to Content Kits.
- Microsite Page Flag: Admins should use this flag to define a content type that is a Microsite type. Content pages are external-facing branded pages for sharing multiple content assets. To learn more about content pages, please check out Introduction to Microsites.
- Custom Thumbnail Flag: When an asset is added to Enablix, it automatically generates a thumbnail image based on the type of the asset. However, there are formats where thumbnail images are not generated or you prefer a custom thumbnail image. The custom thumbnail flag, when checked supports an option to upload a custom thumbnail image for an asset.
- Default Shareable Value: Decide if assets in this content type are meant to be Externally Shareable or Internal & Confidential.
- Verify Value: Enablix supports a verification workflow to help administrators and content managers maintain a quality content library. The Verify Value allows you to define a verification period, brnging their attention to assets that have been in the portal for X amount of time.
Most Content Types have pre-defined attributes such as File, URL, Description. You can customize the Content Type by defining additional attributes or editing existing ones to suit to your requirements.
Webinars have a gated landing page and the recording of the webinar. Sales users need access to both the assets. Landing page is great for sharing on public domains and social media sites. And sales users prefer to share recordings with already engaged prospects and customers. To support this structure, marketers can add an additional attribute for Gated URL (as shown in the gif image below).
Edit a Content Type
Once a content type is defined, an administrator can edit some of the attributes of a content type. The following settings cannot be changed.
- The type of content type. If the content type is defined as a content kit or a content page or a standard content type, then that setting cannot be changed.
The following settings can be updated (with some caveats),
- Plural or singular name of the content type.
- Custom Thumbnail Flag: You can change this flag for a standard content type. However, if the content type is a content kit or a content page, then the custom thumbnail flag cannot be changed.
- Default Shareable Value: You can change the default shareable value on a content type.
- Collaborator Support
- Verify Duration: You can change the verification time period for a content type.
- Attributes' name, show/hide preview, and link support.
Changing a content type setting affects all the assets of that content type.
Delete a Content Type
You can delete a content type only when there are no assets in the system of that content type.