Manage Content Types
- Content Type is mandatory for every asset. You cannot add an asset without specifying its content type.
- An asset belongs to one and only one content type.
Before you start uploading content into Enablix, you should configure the basic content types that you plan to use. You can always come back later and add more. Managing the content types is an ongoing process. In this article, we will discuss how to
Only users in Administrator role can manage Content Type changes.
Add a Content Type
An admin user can add a new Content Type from the Company Settings - Content Types tab. When adding a new Content Type, an administrator has several options that are discussed below.
- Plural and Singular Name: Every content type should have a plural and singular name. This helps with search and navigation ease of use. A content type name (both plural and singular name values) should be unique.
- Content Kit Flag: This flag determines if this content type is a content kit type. Once a content type is defined, this flag cannot be changed. To learn more about content kits, please check out Introduction to Content Kits.
- Content Page Flag: Admins should use this flag to define content type that is a content page type. Once a content type is defined, this flag cannot be changed. Content pages are external facing branded pages for sharing multiple content assets. To learn more about content pages, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Custom Thumbnail Flag: When an asset is added to Enablix, it automatically generates a thumbnail image based on the type of the asset. However, there are formats where thumbnail images are not generated or you prefer a custom thumbnail image. The custom thumbnail flag, when checked supports an option to upload a custom thumbnail image for an asset. A thumbnail image comes handy to make the asset standout when seen along side other assets in the library. The Custom Thumbnail flag is selected by default (and cannot be unselected) if either the Content Kit or Content Page flag is checked.
- Sharing Flag: When checked, Enablix supports an option to share the asset externally by using the content asset link. If unchecked, the Copy Link option is not available and users cannot create custom links. To read more about links, please refer to Introduction to Links.
- Verify Value: Enablix supports a verification workflow to help administrators and content managers maintain a quality content library. The Verify Value allows administrators to define a verification period. A verification period of 1 year means, an asset is up for verification 1 year after its last update date. To learn more about content verification, please contact email@example.com.
When adding a content type that is a content kit, an administrator has additional options to select. These options allow you to configure the title of the content kit and the display mode for the kit's assets.
Most Content Types have pre-defined attributes such as File, URL, Description. You can customize the Content Type by defining additional attributes or editing existing ones to suit to your requirements.
Webinars have a gated landing page and the recording of the webinar. Sales users need access to both the assets. Landing page is great for sharing on public domains and social media sites. And sales users prefer to share recordings with already engaged prospects and customers. To support this structure, marketers can add an additional attribute for Gated URL (as shown in the gif image below).
Edit a Content Type
Once a content type is defined, an administrator can edit some of the attributes of a content type. The following settings cannot be changed.
- Plural or singular name of the content type.
- The type of the content type. If the content type is defined as a content kit or a content page or standard content type, then that setting cannot be changed.
The following settings can be updated (with some caveats),
- Custom Thumbnail Flag: You can change this flag for a standard content type. However, if the content type is a content kit or a content page, then custom thumbnail flag cannot be changed.
- Sharing Flag: You can change the content sharing flag on a content type.
- Verify Duration: You can change the verification time period for a content type.
- Attributes' name, show/hide preview and link support.
Changing a content type settings affects all the assets of that content type.
Delete a Content Type
You can delete a content type only when there are no assets in the system of that content type.